FableTree Productions, Denmark
- Published By:
- Release Date:
February 4th 2021 (English version)
September 3rd, 2020 (Danish prelaunch)
USD 3.99 for full story unlock. First quarter part of the story is free to play.
Digital download (App Store, Google Play)
Supports VoiceOver and TalkBack
- Press Contact:
Escape the Blackblades and uncover the mystery of your ancestry. "Serania - Path of the Scion" is a fast-paced, choice-based role playing text adventure, set in a Nordic style medieval fantasy world.
The king's feared Blackblades are suddenly hunting you. But why? You are just a simple villager. Escape and uncover the dramatic events surrounding your ancestry. Find friends and fight foes. Discover forgotten places, work undercover in the town, go on side-missions and gradually solve the mystery.
The game introduces a new flavor to text-based games by using a progressive flow and deep choice structures to create an easy to read, intuitive and engaging game.
- Progressive flow: The player experiences the narrative as it unfolds and never has to read long pages of text.
- Rich choices: By using a new choices-with-sub-choices design, both simple choices and complex actions like inventory management and combat can be done intuitively.
- Rich Atmosphere: The textual content never stands alone. Background art, illustrations, sound and music add to the game atmosphere and creates an engaging and immersive experience.
- Free World Design: The game gradually opens up, allowing the player to navigate freely in the game world, while gathering clues, gaining experience and going on missions.
- NPCs: The player can interact with a wide variety of NPC characters to gather intel and discover new quests.
- Combat: The combat system takes advantage of the progressive flow to create fast paced fights, with lots of variations and many possible strategies. The player can fight against one or more foes, with or without fellow companions.
- Inventory Management: Ability to pick up items, examine, use, and buy/sell new equipment.
- Character building: Gather experience and upgrade the player character to improve abilities.
- 80 locations to discover and approx. 70,000 words of content.
Once upon a time, Peter Ravnholt, the solo indie developer behind this game, went through some life-changing events and decided to do something crazy:
Combining his talents and spending all spare time for a couple of years designing, writing, programming and composing to create a mobile game in the relatively small text-based niche.
Why? Quoting Peter: "Sometimes you just can let go of an idea. Text-based games do not have to be tedious to play. There is much innovation happening in this genre, and here is my take on how to get people immersed in reading and having fun. I feel that I'm just getting started here, and hope to bring more engaging, story-driven games to the players."
"Serania - Path of the Scion" was initially soft-released in Danish, only available in the Danish App Store. Being well received, it was decided to proceeded and create the enhanced, international version of the game that will release on February 4th, 2021.
Logos and Game Icons
- Peter Ravnholt: Writer, Designer, Programmer, Background Artist, Sound Designer, Composer.
- Niels-Martin Ström Josefsen: English translation
- Teju Sandhu: Character illustrations
- Olha Volkova: Item illustrations
- Angelo Quintero: Monster illustrations